Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at the Frist Center for the Visual Arts.
The following position is currently open:
RETAIL OPERATIONS/GIFT SHOP ASSOCIATE
Job Summary: The priorities of every member of the retail team are to meet projected sales goals, provide the very best customer service and expand the customer base for the purpose of supporting the mission of the Frist Center. Working as a group, all staff must be multi-task oriented, flexible, even-keeled, and have the ability to interact easily with the Frist Center’s diverse client base. Each member of the sales staff is an integral part of our operation and, while all members of the gift shop staff will be familiar with all facets of store operation, individual staff members may be assigned specialties in merchandise or other areas of the retail operation.
Specific Job Functions:
• Be familiar with and sell the oft-changing array of merchandise in the Frist Center Gift Shop;
• Work from packing slip and store’s order to receive, mark, and retail all orders; entering all into point-of-sale database;
• Maintain and organize all visual displays and understock to assure that the shop makes a strong visual presentation;
• Assist Gift Shop Manager with clerical duties as needed;
• Assist Gift Shop Manager in visual displays as requested;
• Promote and sell Frist Center Memberships;
• Serve customers and Members in a manner that helps ensure an excellent Frist Center experience;
• Assist Gift Shop Manager in research to identify appropriate merchandise to carry in the Frist Center Gift Shop;
• Assist in preparation of reports as needed;
• Work with volunteers in a positive and constructive manner;
• Assure ADA compliance and be ready to offer accommodation as needed to visitors in the Gift Shop;
• Perform other duties as needed or requested by Gift Shop Manager;
General Job Functions:
• Familiarity with computer software applications relating to retail operation;
• Create and follow through on sales transactions to assure customer’s complete satisfaction;
• Wrap or bag merchandise for customers for carry-out and/or shipment as requested;
• Maintain the cleanliness and order of the store’s retail and off-the-floor work space;
• Organize, maintain, and restock the shop’s on-the-floor merchandise and understock, all inventory and supporting supplies;
• Assist in opening and closing the store as requested;
• Initiate placement of special orders and follow through to ensure delivery and satisfaction;
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends as requested;
• Maintain knowledge of Frist Center exhibitions and weekly activities/programs;
Skills and Abilities:
• Experience in retail environment(s);
• Experience in meeting retail revenue goals and individual job goals;
• Knowledge of e-commerce;
• Ability to work well and have positive exchange with customers and with fellow staff members;
• Enjoy hard work and challenge;
• Creativity and adaptability in thought and action;
• Physical and mental endurance;
• Multi-task oriented and willing to do whatever the retail day demands;
• Calm demeanor to in all situations;
• Ability and desire to stay informed of the Frist Center’s exhibitions and activities;
• Ability to help create a positive, energetic environment for all visitors to the Frist Center Gift Shop.
The Center’s retail operation was created as an aesthetic complement to the Frist Center and maintains a high and consistent level of expertise in its operation. The primary purpose of the Gift Shop is to produce revenue to support the for the Frist Center’s programs and activities.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: College degree or high school diploma with 5 years of retail experience. Museum retail background strongly preferred. Knowledge of fine and visual arts a significant plus.
Job Conditions: This position will require evening and weekend hours.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Demands may include:
• Ability to bend, climb, stoop to assist customers and with staging of the store
• Ability to lift 25 pounds;
• Ability to stand for long periods of time to assist visitors with merchandise.
Interested candidates should send their resume, references and salary requirements to:
Frist Center for the Visual Arts
Nashville, Tennessee 37203
Fax: (615) 244-3339
Attention: Sheri Horn, Human Resources Manager
The Frist Center for the Visual Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer