June 20–July 1, 2016
2016 Summer Art Camp
Imagine! Create! Discover!
Enjoy one-of-a-kind experiences possible only at the Frist! Young artists age 5 to 10 are invited to explore our exhibitions and experiment with fun new processes under the guidance of experienced teaching artists and museum educators. Camps are available in weeklong sessions from June 20 to July 1, 2016. Registration now open. If you have questions or issues with online registration, please contact Jessica Orvis at 615.744.3355 during business hours.
Do you have kids ages 11 to 18? CLICK HERE to learn about Summer ARTlab designed especially for this older age group.
Bellissima! Beautiful Design
Be inspired by the cars, concepts, and ideas in the exhibition Bellissima! The Italian Automotive Renaissance, 1945–1975. Participants will explore the design process from conception to execution through a variety of 2-D and 3-D art-making projects.
Register online for the June 20–24, 9:00 a.m.-noon camp. SOLD OUT
Register online for the June 27–July 1, 1:00-4:00 p.m. camp. SOLD OUT
Pop! It’s Surreal!
Translate your dreams and imaginings into reality using visual art. Inspired by the exhibition Inka Essenhigh: Between Worlds, young artists will use a variety of experimental techniques to create visionary works.
Register online for the June 20–24, 1:00-4:00 p.m. camp. SOLD OUT
Register online for the June 27–July 1, 9:00 a.m.-noon camp. SOLD OUT
Spark your imagination and spirit of invention! Campers will explore science, technology, engineering, and math through a variety of art experiments and projects. Participants will look to the concepts and dynamism seen in the exhibition Bellissima! The Italian Automotive Renaissance, 1945–1975 for inspiration.
Register online for the June 20–24, 9:00 a.m.- noon camp.
Register online for the June 27–July 1, 1:00-4:00 p.m. camp.
It’s a Process: Film & Photography
Investigate the exhibition The Power of Pictures: Early Soviet Photography and Film and uncover unlimited possibilities through new media. Participants will delve into a variety of photographic processes and explore both historical and digital filmmaking techniques.
Register online for the June 20–24, 1:00-4:00 p.m. camp.
Register online for the June 27–July 1, 9:00 a.m.-noon camp.
Fees for ages 5–10
$210 per half day (one session)
$310 for full day (two sessions)
$160 per half day (one session) for Frist Center members
$260 for full day (two sessions) for Frist Center members
• Summer Art Camp registration opens for members on January 25, 2016, and for non-members on February 8, 2016.
• Camps are designed to meet the needs of specific age ranges and developmental abilities. Participants must be the proper age before the first day of the session(s) they are to attend.
• Fees must be paid in full at registration.
• A letter will be sent to confirm your child’s registration. If you do not receive a confirmation letter within two weeks after submitting the registration form, please contact Education Coordinator Jessica Orvis at 615.744.3355.
• Cancellations: Prior to 14 days before camp, registration fee will be refunded less a $50 processing fee. Less than 14 days before camp, registration is non-refundable.
• Programs and dates are subject to change. The Frist Center reserves the right to cancel programs when necessary. Fees will be refunded under this circumstance.
Ages 5–10 Daily Schedule:
• Morning sessions begin promptly at 9:00 a.m. Please bring your child to the Demonbreun Street entrance no later than 8:50 a.m. Afternoon sessions begin promptly at 1:00 p.m. Please bring your child to the Demonbreun Street entrance no later than 12:50 p.m.
• Morning sessions end at noon. Afternoon sessions end at 4:00 p.m. Parents should pick up their child no later than five minutes after camp ends.
• A $2 per minute fee will be assessed for children picked up late.
• All Summer Art Camp–related parking will be validated for free exit. Please park in the Frist Center’s Visitor Parking Lot. Participants will be issued a voucher for free parking.
• Please dress for mess.
• Closed-toed shoes are required for safety: no flip-flops or sandals.
• The art studios can get chilly with air conditioning: please send a sweatshirt or sweater with your child if this will be a problem.
Lunches and Snacks:
• There is a snack break during each session for campers ages 5–10. Please pack a small, nonrefrigerated snack clearly labeled with your child’s full name.
• Water is provided for participants during their snack time.
• Children enrolled in the daylong program (two sessions) must bring their own lunches. Please pack a lunch that does not require microwaving or refrigeration.
• Supervised lunch is held from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. for campers.
• All Summer Art Camp participants must remain inside the Frist Center during lunch unless signed out by a parent or guardian.
• Contact Samantha Andrews at email@example.com or 615.744.3349.